Self Help Resources
An important component to self-care is utilizing resources that can assist you in understanding yourself better and improving your quality of life. Many people find that self-help literature and web-based resources are highly informative and convenient to access. Common self-help topics include: Anxiety, depression, stress and time management, eating and body image, addiction, substance abuse, trauma, coping with mental illness, assertiveness, sexual identity, grief, sleep issues, relationship problems, motivation, procrastination, perfectionism. Below is a list of recommended resources that you may find helpful in your own personal growth pursuits.
- The Joy of Depression a 1 hour workshop.
- Stress Management and Wellness a 6 part workshop, each between 15 to 25 minutes long. The following brochure has been developed to help you practice the skills discussed on the video.
- Stress Management and Wellness Online Workshop Brochure.
Web-based Self-help Pamphlets and Brochures
The following on-line brochures contain general information on a variety of mental health and related topics. The brochures were produced by a variety of agencies, many of which are not affiliated with Utah State University. As a result, the opinions expressed in the following brochures do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Utah State University or CAPS. For more information on where Utah State Students can obtain help for the issues described below, please call CAPS at 797-1012.
Self Help Literature
Counseling and Psychological Services has a self-help library available to students who are interested in checking out materials from our collection. If you would like to browse our library, drop by anytime during normal business hours (Mon-Fri, 8:00-5:00). We also encourage students to do your own research into self-help literature that may be a good fit for you. Most bookstores have a substantial self-help section both in-store and online.Self-help Books Available for Free
- Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism from the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- Anger from the American Psychological Association.
- Anxiety Disorder from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Attention Deficit Disorder from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Depression from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Bipolar Disorder(also known as Manic Depression) from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Drug Abuse from National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- Eating Disorders from National Institute of Mental Health.
- HIV/AIDS from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.
- Learning Disabilities from the Learning Disabilities Association of America.
- Learning to Deal with Failure from Elizabeth McKinley's blog.
- Panic Disorder from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Rape and Sexual Assault from Utah State University SAAVI office.
- Roommate Conflict Resoultion Podcast from USU Connections.
- Schizophrenia from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Sexual Orientation from the American Psychological Association.
- Stress and Anxiety from Learn Psychology.
- Stress/Relaxation from the University of Texas.
- Substance Use from Summit Behavioral Health.
Self Help Workshops
Counseling and Psychological Services offers a variety of educational workshops throughout the academic year. If you are interested in learning more about our workshops, drop by to pick up a Workshop Brochure, (see Related links, right column) or call us during normal business hours (Mon-Fri, 8:00-5:00).