Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) located and what are the hours?

Located in the Taggart Student Center Room 306 we are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Do I have to be a student to obtain counseling services at CAPS?

Yes, only students enrolled on the Logan Campus for a minimum of 9 credit hours are eligible to receive counseling. Spouses and children are sometimes seen with the student as part of couples or family counseling.

Where should I go to get counseling if I am not a student or if I am enrolled in less than 9 credits?

We are fortunate to have many places in Cache Valley where counseling/mental health services may be obtained. Utah State University operates two clinics -- The Community Clinic and the Family Life Center - Marriage and Family Therapy Clinic -- which provide counseling services for non-students. Click here Campus Resources and Community Resources for more information.

Will CAPS write letters to other USU departments on my behalf?

In general, CAPS staff only write letters for accommodations or letters documenting emotional/psychological concerns for ongoing clients. Writing a letter is at the discretion of CAPS staff. CAPS will only release information (safety related reasons are the primary exception to this rule) when a client signs a Release of Information form for that specific information.

What are the fees for counseling services?

CAPS does not charge fees for counseling, consultation, or outreach services.

How can I tell if I need counseling?

There is no single answer to this question. In general, most people can handle most of life's problems on their own or with the help of family or friends. There are times, however, when we "get stuck" or can't figure out the solution on our own. When people develop problems of sufficient severity professional assistance is needed. Also, many times college students find they are a long distance from their friends/family...they don't have their usual support network to turn to. These are times when counseling may be helpful. Here is a list of some signs that counseling might be needed. (This is not a comprehensive list but contains some of the more common signs):

  • Feeling "down in the dumps" most of the time
  • Feeling fearful
  • Fatigue or sleep problems
  • Binge eating or drinking
  • Poor appetite
  • Not enjoying usual activities
  • Feeling nervous or jittery
  • Feeling out of control
  • Irritability, not getting along with people
  • Having a hard time paying attention or concentrating
  • Feeling lonely - nobody understands you
  • Feeling hopeless. no hope for the future
  • Engaging in self-destructive behavior
  • Sudden changes in personality
  • Thoughts of harming yourself

Will the information I share in counseling be kept confidential?

Will it become part of my school record? CAPS records are separate from other university records. As a general rule we do not share information about clients with anybody outside the center staff. There are, however, a few exceptions to the rule such as: a client requests in writing that we share information, also in legal situations, these usually involve cases of child abuse or neglect, court orders to release information, or situations where the client is a danger to self or others. Please feel free to ask your therapist for more detailed information about confidentiality and its limitations.

Does it mean I am crazy if I need counseling?

No. Counseling is designed to help people acquire more effective skills for dealing with life's challenges. People seek counseling for a wide range of problems. Some people come to improve decision making skills, whereas others come because they feel overwhelmed by the stressors in their lives. No matter what the reason, we all need help at times. Help may come from a good friend, or a professional counselor.

Is CAPS a Training site?

Does that mean I will be seen by a student trainee? CAPS is a training site and some of our therapists are graduate students in psychology. All trainees are closely supervised, and we are careful to assign cases only to therapists with appropriate training. If you have any questions about the training or experience level of your therapist, please feel free to ask.