Skip to main content

For Concerned Students

As a student, you may find yourself concerned with the behavior, emotions, or demeanor of a friend. Students may talk with a counselor at CAPS if they want some ideas on how to be helpful to another person. If a consultation meeting with a counselor would be helpful to you, call for an appointment: 435-797-1012

Why do people seek counseling?

People seek counseling for many reasons, ranging from a wish to solve a long-standing problem to a desire to enhance their personal growth. To address the personal, educational and career concerns of students, CAPS offers both group and individual counseling. Students come in to discuss issues such as: roommate conflicts, anxiety and stress management, depression, eating disorders, body image, substance abuse and other addictions, career choices, academic concerns, traumatic experiences, and family and friend concerns.

Here are some common symptoms of distress that may indicate counseling is recommended.

  • Significant changes in personal relationships, such as death of a family member, friend, divorce or separation, pregnancy or abuse.
  • Significant changes in mood or behavior, such as withdrawal from others, social activity, spells of unexplained crying or outbursts of anger, or unusual agitation.
  • Increased irritability.
  • Uncharacteristic changes in academic behavior such as missing classes and tests.
  • Loss of motivation; lack of employment in activities that were once enjoyable.
  • References to suicide or expression of intent to harm self or others.
  • Anxiety and depression.
  • Alcohol and drug abuse.
  • Eating and body image concerns.
  • Career choice concerns.
  • Concern about academics.

What you can do to help:

  • Listening to and putting yourself in the shoes of the friend about whom you are concerned can help him or her feel understood and cared for.
  • If you want to explain to a friend how you are concerned, be as specific as possible. Being direct is advisable; attempting to deceive or trick someone into getting help is unwise.
  • Make a referral: You can help by telling your friend they may go to CAPS in room 306 of the Taggart Student Center. If your friend is in crisis, we will make an appointment with them on the same day. You may also offer to make the call with them or to walk them over to CAPS yourself.
    Click here for more information on making an appointment.
  • If your friend is reluctant to meet with a counselor, you may suggest they see a physician or a trusted religious figure. Some people may be more comfortable with these individuals initially.
  • Remember, change often happens in stages. When you encourage a friend to go to counseling, you plant a seed for change that may not take hold right away. Do not expect immediate change or for all of the symptoms to go away in a short period of time.
  • If you feel getting someone to help is essential, you may consult with a counselor at CAPS during regular business hours, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Please call 435-797-1012 to request a meeting.